Spring cleaning would have to be one of the most rewarding and satisfying domestic jobs you can experience. There’s no other season that celebrates cleaning quite like Spring. That said, not everybody likes to do their own Spring cleaning. However, there’s nothing quite like the feeling of being welcomed into a home that you know has been cleaned from top to bottom.
To get the ball rolling on your own Spring clean we have prepared some essential Spring cleaning tips to show you just how easy it can be. We know that you probably won’t believe us when we tell you that you can actually get through a Spring clean relatively quickly and easily. If you follow our 10 easy steps you will still have a smile on your face by the time you’ve finished.
The goal here is to get in and get out as quickly as possible while maintaining high quality.
1. Good planning is the key We’re sure that you’ve all heard the saying “If you fail to plan, then you’re planning to fail”. Get yourself a really good spring clean checklist and feel free to customise it specifically to your home. It can also be satisfying checking things off as you go.
2. The essentials The right equipment and tools for a good Spring clean are essential if you want it done right the first time. Two of the most universally tried and tested cleaning products are white vinegar and baking soda – they have so many uses, plus you’re more than likely to have them in your cupboard already and if not, they are very cheap to buy. White vinegar and baking soda will do the trick from polishing and disinfecting through to window cleaning. You’ll also need your favourite spray cleaner, some versatile polishing cloths (our favourite are the microfibre cloths which always leave a great finish), a vacuum cleaner, rubber gloves and a bucket and mop/steam mop. You can of course add your personal favourites to the list too.
3. Work top to bottom No matter which room you’re cleaning, you will find it easiest to start at the top and work your way down. This means starting with the cobwebs at the very top (that always seem to get missed) before moving onto the windows and walls. As a rule of thumb, always leave the floors to last after working on everything else in between.
4. Getting down and dirty This means pulling out all the furniture that hasn’t been moved in a while and cleaning out those dust and hair tumble weeds that might have been lurking under the couch for some time. Cleaning skirting boards that are usually out of reach, you know the ones that the vacuum extension doesn’t actually reach. Cleaning ‘under’ the areas that you normally clean ‘around’ makes such a big difference to the longevity of your Spring Clean.
5. Say no to clutter There’s a lot to be said about cleaning out your clutter and it’s amazing how decluttering can completely change your state of mind. The key here is to be as ruthless and as organised as possible. Create a new place for those things that constantly clutter up your kitchen benches or the dining table. There are stores that specialise in storage solutions. Get yourself some retail therapy and some declutter solutions at the same time. Small storage solutions can change a space dramatically so think smart and don’t hold on to any unnecessary nick-nacks.
6. Time to delegate Chances are you’re not the only one in your household that gets to enjoy the space you live in, so don’t be afraid to delegate a few cleaning jobs here and there. It’s time to put your kids, husband or house mate to work. Do what it takes to lighten the load.
7. Multitasking The quickest way to speed up your Spring cleaning is to multitask. Make the most of your cleaning products and let them do the work for you whilst you get onto other tasks. Spray your bathroom and wet areas and leave them to soak while you put the washing out, change the beds etc. By the time you’ve finished the beds all you will need to do is a quick rinse and wipe down of the bathroom and wet area and voila, a sparkling clean bathroom.
8. Outsource Don’t be afraid to outsource specialized cleaning jobs such as carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning and home cleaning too. If your carpets are looking a little worse for wear, you’ll be amazed how a professional clean can bring them back to life. Why not give the rugs and couch a good clean the same time.
9. Dust, Dust, Dust You’d be surprised to know how much dust falls and settles in places you didn’t even know existed. Dusting is incredibly therapeutic and leaves the house feeling light and fresh. Those hard to reach places can be such a pain to clean, that’s why the dust attachment on the vacuum cleaner will become your new best friend. This will allow you to get two cleaning jobs done at the same time.
10. Put your feet up with a nice brew Finally… it’s time to sit back, relax and enjoy your freshly cleaned home..
If our top Spring cleaning tips 1 through to 9 seem a bit daunting then you can give us a buzz in the Bizzi Beez customer care centre and we can always get the experts in to do if for you!